Home | Your Other Benefits | Dental
Eligible employees can choose from two dental options:
- Cigna (Prepaid Plan)
- MetLife (Dental Preferred Provider Organization)
(Note: Local education and local government members should check with their agency benefits coordinator to see if dental insurance is available.)
Cigna Prepaid Plan
The Prepaid plan provides services at predetermined copay amounts from a limited network of participating dentists and specialists.
- To receive benefits, you must select a dentist from the Prepaid Plan list. The network is Cigna Dental Care (HMO).
- There are some areas in the state where the network dentists may not be available. Be sure to carefully review the provider directory. Some dental offices may be closed to new patients.
- You must use your selected dentist to receive benefits.
- The plan provides services at predetermined member copay amounts (reduced fees) for dental treatments.
- There are no deductibles to meet, no claims to file, no waiting period and no annual dollar maximum. Pre-existing conditions are covered.
MetLife Dental Preferred Provider Organization (DPPO)
The DPPO provides services with member coinsurance rates. Any dentist may be used to receive benefits, but member cost will be less if an in-network provider is used.
- Use any dentist (receive maximum benefits when visiting an in-network MetLife PDP provider).
- Member pays coinsurance for covered services.
- Deductible applies for basic and major dental care only.
- You or your dentist will file claims for covered services.
- Referrals are not required.
- Some services (e.g. crowns, dentures) require a 6-month waiting period before benefits begin.
- Other services (orthodontics, replacement of missing tooth) require a 12-month waiting period before benefits begin.
- There are some limitations and exclusions, (e.g., no benefit for cosmetic reasons, congenital malformations, diagnosis or treatment of TMJ.
You pay coinsurance for many covered services and your share is based on the "maximum allowable charge" (MAC) for a given service. You will pay less out-of-pocket when seeking care from a network provider because network dentists and specialists typically agree to the allowable charge up front. Out-of-network providers typically charge more than the allowable charge, resulting in higher costs for you.
Cigna Prepaid — cigna.com/stateoftn
(select the Cigna Dental DHMO Network)
View instructions on locating a Cigna dental provider
MetLife DPPO — mybenefits.metlife.com/StateOfTennessee
(State of Tennessee is the account name)
For more detailed information, member handbooks are available on the Benefits Administration website.